Functions of the State Fire and Rescue Service
- to implement state policy in the field of fire safety, fire-fighting, civil protection and operation of the single emergency phone number “112”;
- to supervise compliance with the fire safety and civil protection requirements specified in regulatory enactments;
- to perform fire-fighting and rescue works;
- to co-ordinate the activities of fire safety, fire-fighting and rescue services and voluntary fire-fighter organisations established by institutions, organisations, commercial companies and local governments, which activities are related to fire safety and fire-fighting.
In order to fulfill the functions, the State Fire and Rescue Service has the following tasks
- to identify the state of fire safety and potential hazards in the Republic of Latvia and, on the basis of this analysis, provide the state institutions and local governments, as well as other persons with recommendations regarding improvements of the situation in the field of fire safety and civil protection;
- to organise and perform prevention measures in the field of state fire safety and civil protection;
- to participate in the evaluation of measures taken for assessment and reduction of the risk of industrial accidents;
- to perform and manage fire-fighting;
- to perform and manage rescue operations: while fire-fighting, after road accidents, in internal waters & in conformity with the technical provisions and possibilities thereof perform underwater search and other rescue works
- in co-operation with other authorities to perform measures for urgent emergency response and elimination of consequences in accordance with the requirements specified in regulatory enactments of radiation safety and nuclear safety;
- in co-operation with other authorities to perform and manage urgent measures for elimination consequences of emergency;
- to provide possible assistance to individuals in the event of fire or emergency;
- to provide receiving and processing of a single emergency number “112” calls and if necessary forward it to other operational services;
- in conformity with the competence thereof to organise and implement civil protection measures;
- in conformity with the competence thereof to develop drafts of regulatory enactments regulating fire safety, fire-fighting, rescue and civil protection, as well as to participate in the preparation of opinions regarding the drafts of regulatory enactments developed by other authorities;
- to train and organise the work of persons involved in fire safety, fire-fighting and rescue operations, as well as civil protection measures;
- to inform society in the field of fire safety and civil protection;
- to collect, preserve and popularize Latvian fire–fighting history and nowadays values in society as well as to promote their use in public education;
- to perform other tasks as required by regulatory enactments.
You can read about our state national development plan up to year 2027 here, our priorities are also integrated there.
Representatives within the FEU
We are delighted to inform you that the 6th International Safety Education Seminar - ISES 2021 will take place at the Croke Park conference centre in Dublin on December 7th and 8th, 2021.
The dates for INTERSCHUTZ have been changed, with the event now taking place from 20 to 25 June 2022. The decision to reschedule the world's leading trade fair fire, rescue, civil protection and safety/security was taken by Deutsche Messe after a process of thorough deliberation and intensive discussion with key market players.
Am 24. Februar 2021 brachten Abgeordnete zum Nationalrat eine parlamentarische Anfrage an den Bundesminister für Soziales, Gesundheit, Pflege und Konsumentenschutz – damals noch Rudolf Anschober – betreffend Schutz unserer Freiwilligen Feuerwehren ein. Die Anfrage wurde am 22. April 2021 durch den neuen Gesundheitsminister Dr. Wolfgang Mückstein beantwortet.
Der neue Landesfeuerwehrinspektor, Herbert Österle, hat am Donnerstag, den 1. April, offiziell sein Amt angetreten.
Every year, Danish Emergency Management Organization holds its traditional Annual General Meeting. The Annual General Meeting is the largest fire and rescue fair in Denmark and the Nordics and has for decades been a big draw patch with more than 1.000 visitors and 70 stands.
LINKS ‘Strengthening links between technologies and society for European disaster resilience’ is a project financed by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme.