The Croatian Firefighting Association is the central state office in charge of firefighting, headed by the chief fire commander.
The Chief Fire Commander is responsible to the Government of the Republic of Croatia for the legality of the work of the Croatian Fire Brigades, and for the equipment, organization, training and intervention readiness of fire organizations, fire brigades and firefighters in the Republic of Croatia.
The County Fire Brigades are under the jurisdiction of the Croatian Firefighting Association in operational and implementation terms. The Croatian Firefighting Association is the budget user of the state budget, and budget regulations apply to budget processes that are under the jurisdiction of the Croatian Fire Brigade in operational and implementation terms. Funding to fire brigades is also provided by local authorities.
Croatian Firefighting Association:
- Prepares a proposal for the National Strategy for the Development of Firefighting
- Shapes the fire system of the Republic of Croatia
- Encourages activities regarding the improvement of fire protection and the implementation of firefighting activities
- Prepares the Program of activities in the implementation of special fire protection measures of interest to the Republic of Croatia and sends it to the adoption procedure
- Implements and coordinates the implementation of the Program of activities in the implementation of special fire protection measures of interest to the Republic of Croatia
- Prepares a report on the implementation of the Program of Activities in the Implementation of Special Fire Protection Measures for the Republic of Croatia
- Coordinates activities related to the inclusion of fire brigades in the civil protection system
- Establishes the state fire operational center 193
- Directs the activities of firefighting organizations and firefighting units in performing firefighting activities and supervises their professional work
- Participates in the work of international fire organizations, represents the interests of the fire brigade on the territory of the Republic of Croatia, maintains and regularly updates databases, registers and other data collected by the Croatian Fire Brigade in accordance with the provisions of this Act and regulations adopted pursuant to this Act
- Implements international cooperation in the field of firefighting and participates in the work of working bodies of competent European and international firefighting organizations
- Issues instructions for the implementation of elections in the fire brigades of counties, the fire brigade of the City of Zagreb, fire brigades of cities, municipalities, areas, voluntary fire brigades and public fire brigades
- Organizes firefighting activities
- Provides a central information and communication system
- Prepares analyzes of fire interventions and proposes improvements to the deficiencies identified in the analysis
- Prepares plans for the procurement of firefighting equipment and techniques
- Performs other tasks assigned to it by law.